- December 17, 2014
- The persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions, regardless of the value others may attribute to these possessions.
- Difficulties due to strong urges to save items and/or distress associated with discarding
- Accumulation of a large number of possessions that fill and clutter active living areas so that their intended use is no longer possible”
- Symptoms cause clinically significant distress or impairment, including inability to maintain a safe environment for self and others*
*Definition according to Diagnostic and Statistical Manual 5 (DSM-5)
Group therapy provides social interactions and can be advantageous in reducing stigma and isolation, providing support and positive modelling experiences.
What can be achieved through this support group:
- Understanding about what hoarding is and its implications in your life.
- Understanding participant’s emotional attachment to their belongings
- Learning new strategies on how to detach from items stored and strategies to deal with the emotional reactions that discarding items can cause
- Learning new behavioural and cognitive patterns that are healthier and allow the participants to feel empowered to make changes in their lives.
- Development and practice of sorting, organising, and decision-making skills
- Sharing experiences with others who are dealing with similar situations
Who can benefit from this support group:
- Adolescents and adults experiencing hoarding issues
We offer you a place with caring professionals who will guide you through the process of self-knowledge and emotional wellbeing to make sure you regain confidence in yourself.
We offer Support Groups to help you understand and better manage your emotions, improve your life skills and adopt changes that are in accordance with your desires, dreams, and goals.
We provide affordable rates for clients who are not eligible to claim rebates. Bulk billing available for seniors with a Health Care Card with a referral and a Mental Health Treatment plan provided by a GP or Psychiatrist. This means no extra charges for clients.